Plastic Surgery among the youth is an issue that I was not aware of until reading Branded. After reading about it I realized it's a bigger issue than I had thought it was. I want Parents and Children to be aware of what is taking place. These teens are influenced by celebrities, idols, and models to look the best and have the best curves. The need to fit in has risen dramatically since the 1900's. I will use statistics and stories from teens that have had plastic surgry to pesuade my audience on the issue of Plastic Surgery among our youth. I want parents to know they have a huge impact on their children when it comes to plastic surgery, if their parents have done it they think it's ok for them too. Parents need to realize looks aren't everything and start raising their kids to look at people from the inside not the out. It's even hard for me to look at people for who they really are when I have only grown up with the idea, not influenced by my parents but rather my peers, that you have to look good to get anywhere.
I now realize that not just teens, but parents too have an addiction in going under a needle to look "normal" or more developed. The main surgery teens are undergoing are breast implants, liposuction, and nose jobs. Men like big breasts and everyone hates a big nose. The economy we live in is very competitive to look good. People who look good and are attractive get rewarded. We see women winning beauty pagaents that have went under a needle many times to reach their goal of what looks good. The reward should go to the plastic surgeon, not the one that had the surgery! This issue will only continue to rise as well as the competition of looking "good" or "normal".
Quart, Alissa. Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers. New York: Basic Books, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you! So your audience is parents? OR young teens? Make sure you narrow your audience. The problem in overreaching (writing for two audience(s)) is that it can invariably weaken your argument.
ReplyDeleteLet me know what you have found so far? What sort of scholarly research have you found?
I am going to focus on writing for parents. I plan on going to the library tonight to find scholarly resources.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are directing your topic to the parents as well as the children. One thing I would like to know is whether or not cosmetic surgery is more done in one financial status or another. What I mean is do wealthy people have surgery more than lower class or is the concern of how we look in everyone.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I'm doing the same, Rhiannon for an abstract I'm writing. Maybe I will see you.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you too!
ReplyDeleteI think that your target audience should be mostly the parents. I saw that because it's really the parents that control what's going on in the household. There are some great stats that show how the media perception of beauty effects teens view on their own beauty. Good luck.
ReplyDelete